The S. B. E. L. was founded as a departemental branch of the Société Centrale des Etudes Locales de l'Enseignement Public, following a ministerial writ issued on february 25. 1911 which meant to promote local history and geography among the teaching profession .
Since it was established, the society has published a review whose primal title "Notre Bourbonnais" changed for "Etudes Bourbonnaises" in 1984. In its quarterly issues, researchers may find an opportunity to publish freely maiden articles or studies as well as to get in contact with already recorded works. Yet , it is also intended for a larger audience keen on the various domains of local history always related to a particular historical period.
The review contains 200 pages and it is delivered on subscription.
Conferences on free admission are organised twice a year, in autumn and spring. They are delivered by specialists in various sectors of local history and are meant to update research.
The various documents published by S. B. E. L. are available in public libraries as well as universities, societies and Archives Départementales et Municipales.
S. B. E. L. is a member of CTHS ( Comité des Travaux Historiques et Scientifiques) and of the Fédération des Sociétés Savantes du Centre de la France . The latter organizes a congress on a different subject every year.